Hawkins’ win streak halted by Big Sandy


On a warm Friday night with a full moon and lots of pageantry the evening was set for Senior Night for Hawkins High School at Lowrance Field for a Highway 80 showdown with the Big Sandy Wildcats. However, in the fourth district game of the season for both teams the 2-7, 2-2 Hawkins Hawks ended the night with a district loss to the 8-1, 4-0 Big Sandy Wildcats, 6-49. The stadium filled in with high energy on both sides in preparation for the big game.

Big Sandy came into the game undefeated in district play. Hawkins’ team had lost only one district game thus far. The stadium filled in with high energy on both sides in preparation for the big game.

The Wildcats won the opening toss and elected to receive the ball. The Hawks knew their hands would be full, so they opted for an onside kick to start the game which they promptly recovered.

On the Hawks’ opening drive, they advanced the ball well under the direction of a new quarterback, freshman Zach Condi, until a pitch out to Tristian Garrett resulted in a fumble that was lost to the Wildcats.

Big Sandy had no trouble driving the ball down field. On a seven-play drive they hit pay dirt with a 15-yard touchdown pass. Hawkins was down seven at the end of the first quarter.

At the beginning of the second quarter the Wildcats were on the move again. They moved the ball all the way to the Hawks’ 11-yard line and then they fumbled – the Hawks recovered. Then three plays later the Hawks gave it back to the Wildcats with an interception. The Hawks committed another turnover.

It only took Big Sandy one play, a 21-yard jaunt by their running back, to convert the turnover into a score. The Wildcats now led 14-0. Big Sandy retained possession when the next kick off touched a Hawkins player and the Wildcats pounced on it, Hawkins’ third turnover in the first half.

Big Sandy scored again at the 5:41 mark of the second quarter as the Wildcats extended their lead to 21 points.

Turnovers continued to plague the Hawks as they again started to move the ball well with a six-play drive until it ended with an interception.

Three first downs later the Wildcats had scored again and took a 28-point lead into the locker room. By half-time the Wildcats had four touchdowns off of four Hawks turnovers.

On the first drive of the second half the Hawks went on a 10-play drive that ended with a touchdown run by Akim Richmond. It was the Hawks only score of the night. The Wildcats scored seven touchdowns on the night and the Hawks were unable to sufficiently answer the bell.

Coach Evans said afterwards, “It was a tough game, but we are moving on to get ready to face Union Grove.”

The Hawk’s next district game against Union Grove, on the road, is Friday at 7:30 p.m.


Special Sections