Cade’s Building Materials, a fixture in Mineola since 1985, has been sold to Higginbotham Brothers & Company. The Mineola location becomes the 39th Texas lumberyard and hardware store in the Higginbotham chain.
The acquisition was effective June 3, according to Higginbotham Brothers, whose corporate office is in Comanche, Texas.
Cade’s roots go back to 1928, when a lumber store was established in Edom, Texas, by Henry Cade and his son Alton Cade Sr. The company moved to Tyler in 1945 and opened a location under the name Cade’s Building Materials as Cade’s continued to operate sawmills in East Texas, according to company history.
In 1957, Alton Cade Jr. joined the business and helped his father oversee daily operations. The store opened in Mineola in 1985. Alton Cade Jr. became president of the company in 1988 and remained in that role until he retired in 2007. Before its purchase by Higginbotham, Cade’s had been owned and operated by Alton Jr.’s daughter, Deborah Cade Nail.
Higginbotham Brothers began as a general mercantile business in Deleon, Texas, before the turn of the century. By the early 1900s, the Higginbotham brothers and some of their relatives opened eight additional general stores in towns such as Ballinger, Comanche, Dublin, Rising Star, and Stephenville. Those early stores weathered the Great Depression and sold lumber, dry goods and clothing. Some locations even operated an undertaking department, and the company dabbled for a time in the automotive industry and farm implements, according to company information.
Today, Higginbotham Brothers carries lumber, hardware and tools, plumbing and electrical supplies, lawn and garden products, appliances and automotive supplies. Many of its locations offer a variety of services as well.