Making healthy food choices is one important thing you can do to reduce your risk of heart disease—the leading cause of death in the United States.
Research from the American Heart Association, tells us that we can reduce the risk of developing these problems by initiating some lifestyle changes that include eating a healthy diet. But with endless information online and racks full of books and magazines about food and recipes, what is the best diet for a healthy heart?
The American Heart Association recommends these simple guidelines when preparing meals:
• Eat at least 4.5 cups of fruits and vegetables a day, including a variety of dark-green, red, and orange vegetables, beans, and peas.
• Choose lean meats and poultry. Include seafood in your diet. (Bake, broil, or grill these protein sources)
• Eat whole grains—the equivalent of at least three 1-ounce servings a day
• Use fat-free or low-fat versions of dairy products
• Reduce sodium intake
• In a restaurant, opt for steamed, grilled, or broiled dishes instead of those that are fried.
SAVE the DATE:
The annual “Home Sweet Home for the Holidays” program presented by the Wood County TEEA Club will be held on Thursday, November 8, 2018 at 10:00 a.m. again at 6:00 p.m. (same program repeated) at the First Christian Church, 209 N. Pacific St, Mineola, Texas. The program will include holiday gift and craft ideas and demonstrations. Soup, cornbread, and desserts will be served. Admission will be $7.00 for adults and $1.00 for children. No pre-registration is needed; just pay at the door. There will also be a craft sale table with many items for sale. New this year,there will also be raffle drawings for gift baskets. We hope you can plan to attend.