Home Sweet Home
Top reasons to love avocadoes
Americans are eating more avocados than ever. In 1985, the average American ate one pound a year. Now it’s more than 7.5 pounds per person.
Why do we love avocados? There are some very good reasons.
– Avocados are a perfect example of nutritious and delicious.
– Avocados are rich, creamy and high in fat. However, this fat is mostly monounsaturated – so, heart healthy. People who eat avocados every day can raise their HDL (good) cholesterol and lower their LDL (bad) cholesterol.
– Avocado-eaters get 20 vitamins and minerals and they also get the nutrients that most Americans need more of – magnesium, potassium and vitamins K and E.
– Avocados have many phytochemicals. These help protect our cells from damage. In fact, eating avocados may keep your eyes healthy and lower your cancer risk.
– Talk about versatile. You can use avocados in dips, sandwiches, salads, smoothies, on toast…the possibilities are endless.