• A Community Health Fair is Thursday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Forever Young Activity Center on Main Street in Quitman. There will be cholesterol testing, carotid doppler screening and scheduling of mammogram and bone density tests. Flu shots will be available and Carter BloodCare will be on site. There will be door prizes and give-aways.
• The extension service’s tri-county pesticide training and private applicator license training are set for Friday at the Carroll Green Civic Center. Contact the extension service for more details.
• The 79th Annual Wood County Electric Cooperative meeting is Friday beginning at 12:30 p.m. and the business meeting is at 2 p.m. Congressman Louie Gohmert is the keynote speaker.
• The Bread of Life Ministry’s fundraising breakfast is Saturday from 7-9:30 a.m. at St Peter’s Catholic Church in Mineola. Donations of $80 for adults and $5 for children are accepted for the all-you-can-eat breakfast.
• The Lake Fork Baptist Church Golf Tournament at Lake Fork Golf course is Saturday. The four-person scramble includes lunch, door and other prizes and an awards ceremony. Play begins with a shotgun start at 9 a.m.
• Also on Saturday the Quitman boys basketball team is hosting the Play a Day for Port A basketball tournament to benefit the coastal town’s basketball program after the school was damaged by Hurricane Harvey. See story inside for details.
• A Blessing of the Animals will take place Saturday in the parking lot of First United Methodist Church in Quitman at 10 a.m. Saturday.
• The coronation of the Autumn Trails Queen is Saturday at 6:30 p.m. at Winnsboro High School.
• The Lake Country Symphonic Band will present is fall concert Sunday at 2 p.m. and Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. at Select Theater on Johnson Street in Mineola. Tickets are $7 for adults, $5 for 11 and under. Call the theater for reservations.