• The Wood County Extension Service’s Diabetes classes begin today (Wednesday) and will also be on Oct. 18, 23 and 25 at 10 a.m. each day at the extension office in Quitman. Call 903-763-2924 for more information.
• A Mineola Chamber of Commerce mixer will be Thursday at Century 21 from 5 to 7 p.m.
• Friday brings the Caring & Sharing Spaghetti lunch from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the First United Methodist Church of Mineola Ministries Center. Tickets are $8 and dine-in and delivery are available.
• Star Gazing by the Astronomical Society of East Texas is set Friday night at the nature preserve in Mineola – weather permitting. The activity begins at 9 p.m. at the amphitheater next to the pavilion.
• Rotary recycling will be Saturday at the Mineola Walmart from 9 a.m. to noon. The recycling trailer will be there to take recyclables to Quitman.
• The Mineola DAR chapter garage sale will be Saturday at Jim Hogg Park in Quitman.
• It’s Trail Ride weekend at Winnsboro’s Autumn Trails. The Welcome Parade is Friday beginning at 4 p.m. and the trail ride begins Saturday and Sunday mornings. Also on Saturday A Taste of Winnsboro begins at 11:30 a.m. with stew, chili and gumbo. The Pie Baking contest will be judged at 11:30 a.m. with pies needing to be delivered at 11 a.m.
• The Quitman Youth Foundation 60th anniversary celebration “Youthtoberfest” is Sunday beginning at 1 p.m. There will be activities for the entire family including a dunking booth, team sports, prizes and a corn-hole tournament. A new sign, which will say Dawson Sports Complex, will be unveiled.
• Monday sees early voting begin on some school district issues and state constitutional amendments. Early voting continues through Nov. 3 (see stories for details).