• The Mineola Landmark Commission’s Movies at Peterson Park will feature Alfred Hitchcock’s “The Birds” Thursday at dusk (around 7 p.m.). Take your lawnchairs or blankets. Admission is free, refreshments will be sold.
• The Golden Sweet Potato Festival is this week beginning Thursday with activities through Saturday evening.
• The City of Quitman “Clean-Up” Days are Friday and Saturday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the city warehouse at the end of Cliff Street and Westside Drive.
• The Quitman Homecoming parade will be Friday at 2 p.m. followed by a pep rally on the north side of the courthouse square. The Mineola Homecoming Parade will be Friday at 3 p.m. (See special sections inside for both schools.)
• The Mineola High School class of 1977 will hold a tailgate party Friday before the ballgame. On Saturday they will reunite at 7 p.m. at the MHS Multi-Purpose Building for a dinner. A dance, DJed by Gary Ison, will start at 9 p.m. and all alumni are welcome. Admission will be $5.
The Mineola Lions Club will sponsor its annual “all you can eat” Pancake Breakfast on Saturday from 7 to 10:30 a.m. at the First Christian Church Fellowship Hall. Cost is $5 for adult and $3 for children 11 and under $3.
The Mineola Iron Horse Fesitval will be in downtown – see separate story and advertisement
New Hope Baptist Church is inviting all children out to their Trunk or Treat on Saturday Oct. 28 from 6 to 8 p.m. There will be free candy and Kona Ice on sale.
The “Youthtoberfest” originally slated for Oct. 22 will be this Sunday at Dawson Athletic Complex beginning at 1 p.m. There will be activities for the whole family after a short meeting. There will also be basketball sign-ups at this time.
The Mineola Chamber of Commerce is hosting Trunk or Treat on Halloween night from 5:30-8:30 p.m. in downtown Mineola and Commerce Street. It is open and free to join for all organizations, businesses, and individuals.
Jim Hogg City Park in Quitman will be the site of a Haunting in the Park Oct. 31 from 5:30 to 8 p.m. and the Quitman Chamber “Candy Walk” (business trick or treating) will be 3:30 to 5 p.m.
Heritage Healthcare Residence Trick or Treating will be Tuesday from 4 to 6 p.m. and everyone is invited to come by.