• Quitman’s Dogwood Festival is this weekend kicking off with the Miss Dogwood Pageant at Carroll Green Civic Center Friday at 6:30 p.m. There will many family friendly activities at Jim Hogg City Park Saturday capped off by a Darrin Morris concert at 6 p.m.
• The Lady Jackets will compete in the regional quarterfinals against Howe, with all games being in Sunnyvale. Game 1 will be Friday at 7 p.m. Game 2 will be Saturday at 4 p.m. and if needed, Game 3 will be held 30 minutes after Game 2.
• Stargazing at the Mineola Nature Preserve is planned for Friday starting at 9:30, depending on the weather.
• The Texas Department of Public Safety Officers Association is having a one-day tournament Saturday at Lake Fork headquartered at Lake Fork Marina. There is a guaranteed $5,000 first prize with second through 15th finishers sharing $10,000.
• Five different bike rides will begin at Mineola’s Nature Preserve Saturday. Ride start times begin at 8:30 a.m. and 8:50 a.m. Please be watchful of bicyclists.
• The Mineola Landmark Commission is holding a grand opening of the Mineola model railroad at the depot Saturday. (See story page 1A).
• The Sound of the Swarm Block Party will be Saturday in downtown Mineola by the gazebo starting at 5 p.m. The party will include a crawfish boil as a Mineola High School Band fundraiser and a performance by the Mineola Jazz Band. Tickets for the event and food are $25 each and attendees are encouraged to take their lawn chairs. Call 903-497-6985 for more information.
• Next week is National Nursing Home Week. Visit the facilities in your town to see what activities they have going on and brighten some residents’ days.